Resources for Students
The collection of role-play scenarios for the teaching of central topics in the responsible conduct of research to graduate students and Two-Minute Challenge (2MC) Exercises developed by NCPRE.
Professional Ethics Engineering
A ten-part series of lectures on various topics in ethics and engineering by Michael Loui, professor emeritus at the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana.
- Part 1: Engineering Ethics 101: Professionalism
- Part 2: Ethics & the Responsible Engineer
- Part 3: Conflicts of Interest for Engineers
- Part 4: Can You Keep a Secret? Confidentiality & Engineering
- Part 5: Ethical Engineering Decision Making
- Part 6: The Citicorp Center Case
- Part 7: Codes of Ethics
- Part 8: The NSPE Code and the BER
- Part 9: Overview of Moral Theories
- Part 10: Ethics in Research
- What is Research Ethics?
- Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research (ORI)
- International Business Ethics Case Studies: A Student-Faculty Collaboration
- Office of Research Integrity’s (ORI’s) research ethics resources
- National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine. 2009. On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition (free PDF available)
- Professional Ethics. This section contains a large number of cases, discussions, essays and articles, and ethical guidelines bearing on the professional responsibilities of engineers. These range over the engineering disciplines from civil to electrical to biomedical engineering.
- Ethics in Computing
- The Lab, a very well-done interactive short film that you can experience through the perspective of one of the four main characters: a graduate student, a postdoctoral scholar, a research project PI (principal investigator), and a University Research Integrity Officer.